Back in the fall, Congress made a mistake that prevents farmers from signing up for the Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP) this year, leaving over 9,000 farmers high and dry.
And when Congress extended the old farm bill on New Year’s Eve, they left out dozens of critical sustainable agriculture programs – leaving them stranded without funding for the year!
Today, the Senate will take up their own version of the bill to fund government programs through the rest of 2013 – and they have a chance to fix the CSP mistake and to restore funding for key sustainable agriculture programs. But they’ve got to know these issues matter.
The House failed to include these priorities in the funding bill it passed this week – the Senate can fix this!
Some of the programs currently stranded without funding include:
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program
- Value-Added Producer Grant Program
- Rural Microentrepreneur Assistance Program
- Rural Energy for America Program
- Organic Agriculture Research & Extension Initiative
- National Organic Certification Cost Share Program
- Organic Production & Market Data Initiatives
- Farmers Market Promotion Program
- Outreach & Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers & Ranchers
- Conservation Reserve – Transition Incentive Program
Don’t let Congress leave these programs stranded!
Speak out today!
An example message is:
“I am a constituent and I’m calling about the Continuing Resolution. Please thank the Senator for all her/his work for Michigan agriculture and please fix the Conservation Stewardship Program so USDA can hold a farmer sign-up this year.
Also, please tell the Senator to support mandatory funding in the bill for the programs that were stranded in the farm bill extension, including BFRDP, FMPP, Organic Cost Share, and Section 2501.
These programs are important to folks in Michigan, and they must be funded.”
Making a call takes only a few moments! Please call today & feel free let us know how it goes!